Monday, June 23, 2014

Faith, Knowledge, Trust=Obedience

Temple Square with Salt Lake Temple, Tabernacle, and Conference Center

There are a bunch of posts I want to make on some controversial topics being discussed by members of my church, the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints whose members are commonly called Mormons. Just to be clear I'm a member of the mainstream church, not one of the smaller groups that differ in some crucial ways from the church I give my faith and allegiance to.

I'm a little hesitant to blog on these hot button topics, having seen some pretty emotional and negative responses being experienced by others who are sticking their heads up in the public arena to express their views or share articles and quotes. I'm non-confrontational by nature and not eager to draw vitriolic fire from readers. However, I'm not so worried as I might be, because I don't actually get very many readers or views on this blog, so the chances are pretty low that this will be read by anyone besides a few of my friends and family. Mostly I am writing to get some of my thoughts down in print. and organized.

This post is my foundation post. Touchstones of truth let me look at things I want to understand and evaluate what I'm learning and thinking without drifting away into conclusions that don't line up with what I know is true.

The three touchstones that come to mind immediately are Faith, Knowledge and Trust.

Faith
I believe I was given the gift of faith by my Heavenly Father to help me navigate the perilous waters of differing opinions and beliefs. So far this has been a major thing that has carried me through any thing that I've found hard to understand in the doctrine and practices of my church. Not that I have needed so much, because for me, the doctrines, principles and practices of my church fit together in a harmonious whole that makes sense, feels good, and is bolstered by so many evidences of its truth that I can't deny it.

Knowledge
Over the years I've learned a lot about the church, and I feel like I have a pretty good grounding in the history, beliefs, doctrines and so on. In addition I have personal spiritual experiences and experiences putting the gospel into action in my life that have taught me how God actually interfaces with me personally. I've also witnessed the same things in the lives of others.  Since it is so congruent, it leads to the next element.

Trust
Because of my faith and knowledge I have trust in God. I believe God loves me. I believe he is my father and I am his child. I believe he has a plan for me and for everyone who has ever lived on earth. I believe he is actively interested and involved in the lives of all his children, that he listens to and answers our prayers perfectly. I believe he can do anything he needs to do and knows everything so that he can plan ahead to accomplish his aims and provide blessings and help perfectly.  I believe everyone on earth has access to his help and that he works with all of us according to the circumstances of our lives. I know that he has the time and the means in eternity to fix everything we mess up in this life, that he will correct injustices and that he is the perfect administrator of justice and mercy.

Presidency of the church, President Monson and his counselors at General Conference
Also, since I feel completely confident that my church was organized and authorized by God himself and that the authority and power to act for god is centered in the priesthood of the church, I also trust that the church is led by an actual genuine prophet of God. (And his counselors and the 12 apostles as well). Do I think they're perfect? No. Do I feel like I can trust the official decisions and counsel they give? Yes. Do I think they are good men with character, values and the right motives? Yes.

The Prophet, his counselors and the twelve apostles at the end of a General Conference session.
Soooo...Obedience...
Everything I know and believe leads me to want to be obedient to God and to his authorized representatives on earth. That means commandments and official guidelines. That doesn't mean I am always able to do the right thing. Like everyone, I make lots of mistakes and bad choices and struggle with personal weaknesses. Does that mean I do it blindly, as in "You say jump and I'll ask 'How High?' " Nope, sorry. I am not a mindless robot. I am not brainwashed in any fashion. I have always applied thought, analysis and evaluation to what I've been taught and asked to do or not do. Because of my beliefs, I'll try to obey even when I don't totally understand, but that doesn't mean I don't continue to question and try to get understanding. My attitude is that if I don't understand, God does, and since I can't always fathom his mind or his plan, I can trust that when I do know I will agree with it.
Members raise their hands to indicate support of the leaders and officers of the church

Bottom line, it is so cool to have that foundation that lets me go forward even when I don't understand everything and know that there are some things I can absolutely count on. So when I explore some of the things that others in and out of the church are questioning and the things they think are true, as well as things I myself wonder about, I have a way I can evaluate what is being said against my own understanding of what is true. Do I think I know all truth and can figure every question out? Of course not. But whatever I can't resolve will go on my mental 'for future consideration' shelf. I suspend needing to know right now and trust I will understand someday, maybe before I die, but certainly after I die.

Next post I'll start exploring and discussing some of the issues I've been looking at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment