Monday, March 23, 2015

Master Smoothie Recipe

I've been making this smoothie most days for several weeks now and thought it would be worth sharing. The basic recipe comes from Reader's Digest 21 day Tummy book designed for people who have digestive problems as well as for weight loss. Since it is concerned with digestive issues, it uses Greek yogurt and no milk. I don't have a problem with dairy so I do vary it some by adding some milk sometimes. 

Not my own photo, but this is how my smoothie looks....
Smoothie Master Recipe
6 ounces nonfat plain Greek yogurt -I like Tillamook Greek yogurt the best. It is much more mild tasting than other Greek yogurts. For easy clean up measuring, put the blender on your kitchen scale and zero the display then spoon in the yogurt until it weighs 6 ounces.

2 Tablespoons light Coconut Milk- This really is optional, but it adds flavor and is good for keeping you satisfied longer, and is good for your gut bacteria, stabilizes blood sugar and is anti-immflamitory.  I get a small can and put the contents in a pint jar in the fridge.

1-2 tablespoons water- (frozen fruit requires more water than fresh)

1 teaspoon real maple syrup- Expensive, but I keep a bottle for only my use and a teaspoon at a time doesn't use it up too fast. Costco is a good source. If not, use honey or even sugar. 1 tsp is only 14 calories.

4-6 ice Cubes-

Add One each from the following categories:

Fruit: For  sweetness, flavor, fiber and nutrition
1 Banana            1 cup strawberries           1 orange, peeled, and removed from membranes
2 kiwis              3/4 cup blueberries         3/4 Cup raspberries          20 red grapes
1/2 cup cubed papaya                1/2 cup pineapple chunks

For fat loss boosting magnesium and fiber:
1 Tablespoon:
Chia seeds
Flax seeds or ground flax (If your blender is not too wonderful use the ground flax)
Pumpkin seeds

Belly fat loss boosting Monounsaturated fat source:
1 teaspoon peanut or almond butter

Flavoring: One or more to suit your taste-
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger or 1 teaspoon fresh grated or minced.

Calories for the typical shake following this recipe: 281 with 20 grams protein, 8.5 grams fat, 9 grams fiber, 35 grams carbohydrates, 59 mg magnesium

Notes: 
I have a really good blender, a Blendtec. I use the pre-programed smoothie setting and it produces a perfectly blended smooth drink with the flax seeds in flecks I can hardly notice. If I were using a regular blender I would get ground flax seed. Keep it in a glass jar in the fridge or freezer since it goes rancid quickly. Chia seeds will probably add a little more body to the smoothie.

I usually make a banana smoothie because it is sweeter, and I like the flavor. I don't like the seeds you get if you use raspberries or blackberries, but the flavor with berries is really good. I do better with blueberries.  I want to try oranges, but the directions say to remove it from the membranes, and I'm not sure if that means each section needs to be taken apart. If so, that is too much work for me! I'll try it eventually and see how it turns out just dropping in the sections after peeling. I think the creamsicle flavor would be really good.

My Variations:
I have whey powder I bought from Costco. It is high in protein but very low in carbs, but even so it adds enough sweetness and flavor to make the difference for me between gag it down and slurp it up. It is expensive, but it's a big bag and lasts quite awhile, and stays good for a long time. I chose CytoSport 100% Whey Vanilla. You really have to read ingredients with whey powders so you don't get one with a lot of sugar in it. This one smells and tastes fantastic. A full serving has 140 calories. When I use it I cut the Greek yogurt in half (3 ounces) and use half a scoop of protein powder. That way I still get the probiortics in the yogurt and still get lots of protein and no extra sugars. A full scoop only has three grams Carbs, but it is amazing what a difference it makes in adding flavor and sweetness 

I also often start by adding 4 ounces of 1% milk, which adds 50 calories. Since the smoothie is my whole breakfast, I don't worry about that much extra calories. When I use milk I leave out the water.

The peanut butter flavor is good with banana, but 1 teaspoon is not very detectable. Still, it is very high calorie, so I watch how much I use.

1 comment:

  1. I tried the chia seeds-oh, ick, ick, Icky-poo..They created a gritty texture and a bitter taste. I won't do that again. Anyone want some chia seeds?

    ReplyDelete