Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Settling in to Edelsfeld




















Settling In to Edelsfeld-Still Day one!

After stopping in a nearby town for lunch, we traveled two-lane back roads until we reached one of those little red-roofed villages-Edelsfeld, where Harry stays when he is working in Vilseck. Vilseck is 10 kilometers from Edelsfeld. It is a small town, just enough for two churches, two gasthouses, and one each bakery, meat market, grocery, and cafe. More about all that later.

The most charming, delightful thing happend as we turned of the main road and went around the corner past both churches to the Goldener Grief where we were staying. It was just on noon as we turned the corner, so all the bells in both churches started ringing for noon time. So we parked and went into our lodging to the melodious pealing of multiple church bells. I felt as if my arrival was being celebrated, and fell in love with Edelsfeld on the spot.

Harry had to go back to work as soon as he got me and my things up to our room. I was able to get unpacked and familiar with the room and then settle in for a wonderful rest. The best thing was getting my contact lenses out right away. I will never fly any length of time with my lenses in again.

So now this is the point where I will start uploading some pictures and a video. I always like to take pics of places we stay that are extra special. This certainly was one of them, so I not only took some pictures right away, but later even thought to take a video tour of our room. Look for those images soon in the picture and viedeo sections.

The Goldener Grief has been in the same spot for centuries. It burned to the ground in the 1700s and the site was bought by the family that runs it now. They rebuilt it and have passed it down through the family ever since. Extended members of the same family run the attached meat market/deli, the brewery next door, a drinking establishment, and the cafe/pastry shop a few blocks away. I will be sharing pictures of these buildings as well. There is another bakery and another gasthaus, but the family meets most of the food and drink and lodging needs in Edelsfeld.

That's all for now, I will put pictures up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment