Friday, January 7, 2011

Christmas Shopping War Stories-A Season of Peace?

The tensions of the season pop up in stores and parking lots as we get closer to Christmas and the time gets short. I have three war stories to relate. I'll leave the conclusions to the reader.

This post is story number one.

First, I was in Costco with three items in my cart. Self-service lines were long, so I cruised along the ends of the checkout lines for one that looked shorter and with less loaded carts. Coming to the last one, I made my pick. Three people ahead of me and not too much in their carts. I parked in behind the last cart and settled in to wait. Then I glanced up at a woman who was nearby when I joined the line. She was giving me that 'look', indignant daggers of -don't you dare get in front of me!-I was surprised. Whatever peripheral awareness I'd had of her was that she didn't have any cart and wasn't carrying anything, so I hadn't paid much attention to her, assuming she was going to move in some direction or another to wherever she was going.

Seeing her indignant challenging glare, I looked around to see if there was some way she could be trying to stand in the line, and saw her several young daughters walk up pushing a full cart. I guess she'd hurried ahead to save a place in line while they caught up with the cart. I was taken aback by her silent challenge, and opted to give way, though not entirely gracefully. My eyebrows went up as I quietly said, 'O-Kay.....' and shifted over to the next line.

I settled in to wait again, thinking my own thoughts about things that needed doing until I suddenly tuned in to one of the daughters saying, "yeah, and she looked at me like, you're not getting in line in front of me.." Since only a minute had passed I figured she must be talking about me and I mused about how our perceptions of the same thing were so different. I resisted the urge to turn and say, "You know I can hear you.."

But that wasn't all. It turns out whoever was in process of being checked out at the first register when I tried to join the first line was involved in some prolonged transaction. The line I moved over to clipped along pretty quickly in comparison, while the woman and her daughters cooled their heels in the same place I left them when I changed lines. By the time I was unloading my items to be checked out they were a little closer, and by the time I was paying they were three back and starting to unload their cart. They were still three back when I wheeled my cart past that check stand. I'm sorry, but I have to admit there was a small smile on my face...

No comments:

Post a Comment