Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Weight loss-Day one of a new start

This year's iteration of 'We're going to lose that weight this year" arrived in the mail mid-December, ordered by my husband-with my name on it?! I'm thinking, "Hey, if you're going to order a new weight loss plan, man up and put your OWN name on it!" I'm more the 'do it yourself' kind of dieter, and I've never found a plan yet that we could stay on for any length of time, so I'm sceptical. It all sounds good to Harry when he's watching the infomercial, but in practice he usually morphs the rules of whatever diet he's doing into a clone of Atkins, which lets him eat a lot of meat and bacon. What's worse, whenever we diet together he loses twice as much twice as fast on twice the food...no fair!

But that said, I read it over and since it comes from a major health magazine and will let me eat the occasional quarter cup of chocolate chips, I thought it might be good to give me a jump start. The thing I want to be different this time is that I don't want to go into this with that euphoria that dissipates after awhile along with any hope for long term change. I'm going to follow along with this plan and see what I can learn from it. I'm looking for slow, long-term change as I work on the issues that got me here in the first place. That means persisting and resolving problems as they come up.

So today is day one of the four day jump start start to the Flat Belly Diet plan. It is intended to be lower calorie than the actual plan that starts on day five. I want to do the four days today through Friday and then go easy through a weekend of time with family and grand kids, and start the main plan next Monday.

I made the 'Sassy Water' this morning and have been enjoying that, it's full of cucumbers, lemons, mint and has fresh ginger in it. Breakfast went well, actually a little more food than I usually eat. I was hungry at noon and ended up making some changes to it. I had an avocado on its last 'legs' (that's an image, and avocado with legs-I feel like that sometimes) So I subbed that and some cuke for the tomato and rolled them with the string cheese in the deli turkey. It was really good. I also finished up half a cup of tapioca pudding afterwards. That's gone now.

This four day plan is supposed to be followed precisely, so I need to do better than that. Even so, I was very hungry by mid afternoon when I got to make a blueberry smoothie. The chicken is thawing for dinner, and I'm set for that, but I'm not liking how hungry I am right now. I must have normally been eating more than I thought I was. The dieters in the book all sounded like they white-knuckled this part, so I'm with them, it's only four days. I should be able to do anything for four days-right? Hmmmm. Not so far. We'll see.

I did the usual weigh and measure this morning. Uggggggg. That's motivating. At least I didn't gain over the holidays, and I'm not at my highest weight. That's something new for me. Some of my work on causes must be helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment