Friday, December 19, 2014

Friday 12-19-14 Bishop's Museum

I decided to go to the Bishop's museum today. I got on my way to the bus stop after 11 and was back to the room by 6 pm. The bis ride takes about an hour. It was really crowded going, but not so bad when I came back.

While I was waiting at the bus stop to get started I saw a man carrying four big tropical birds coming across the street at the corner. I guessed he would be walking past me, so I got my camera out. As he came by, I held up the camera and caught his eye. He grinned and moved to face into the sunshine so I could get a good shot. I love it when these little serendipity things happen. It's part of being in this exotic environment that makes it all that much more fun.



I loved the museum and tried hard to see everything I could in the hours I was there, I went to a talk about volcanoes with a finish where the guy put on a heat suit and poured out molten rock, then handled it with a long pole as it hardened. Later I talked to him and shared the experience I had being in the ash fall from Mount Saint Helens. I also went to a presentation in the planetarium of what the night sky would look like tonight.



The building with the Hawaiian cultural exhibits

The Natural History building

Model of an ancient temple site that has been covered by lava

The demonstrator pours molten rock from the furnace

No comments:

Post a Comment