Saturday, January 10, 2015

New Year's Eve in Waikiki-Shopping for swim fins

I didn't take a lot of photos or do much of anything too special on New Year's Eve day. I did a little shopping again, some more cookies from the Cookie Corner and a pineapple charm and some cookies from from the Honolulu Cookie Company.

I wandered over to the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center after trying to get the vouchers for our luau on Sunday. (Turned out they needed to be picked up on the day of). I got there just as a pair of singers and some dancers from the Polynesian Cultural Center started their morning show. I considered it a tender mercy that I was there just at that time since Harry flatly refused to use our Go Oahu cards to go to the PCC or to their Luau and dinner show. The cable guy told me they had some great new features, better food, and a new show that was excellent, 'The Breath of Hah'. I was disappointed, so it was really nice to get a little mini show. They always do a great job.

Statue at Royal Hawaiian Center honoring a queen's encouragement of education and literacy



Holiday decorations at Royal Hawaiian center

Singers perform on the stage at the Royal Hawaiian center


 I also made the rounds of several dive shops looking for some shorter fins to go snorkeling with. Another guest at our hotel had some swim fins that were short but not too wide. I did some research on the internet and got an idea of what I wanted. None of the shops had fins in my size and they were all rubber fins, so not very comfortable. My real crave is for some silicone fins I found on Amazon

Silicone fins

These fins are over $70 and that seems like too much for how often I might use them.

These fins are my second choice and more reasonable

Cressi Palau fins

These have good reviews for Snorkeling and run between $35 and $60. At $35 that seems pretty reasonable.

Reading reviews, I also learned about fin tethers used in case the fins come off in the water because they don't float and can be lost. I'm not likely to snorkel in strong surf conditions, but if I'm in deeper water and lose one, I wouldn't likely dive down for it, so tethers might be a good idea just in case. They are inexpensive.

I was able to ask questions in one shop that helped me realize that as tame as I am in my snorkeling I probably don't need fins anyway. They are good mainly for keeping safe in strong currents and can give a little advantage in not scaring away fish as much as using the hands to propel yourself does.  I decided to continue snorkeling wearing my trusty water shoes for this trip and keep the two fins on my Amazon wish list for the time being. I also got information that was helpful for keeping my mask clear. I was already using the technique she described at times, but resolved to get better with it. It involves pressing the mask against the face at the top and blowing hard with the nose to expel extra water. I'm not sure if there might be a better fitting mask for me, but I'm doing ok most of the time once I get a good initial seal. I just sometimes have a hard time getting that initial seal. I feel like the mask could fit a little better on the bottom side.

We had dinner in our little room and then went out for ice cream at Haagen Daz down the street. We returned through the shopping center inside the Hyatt Regency and around the Kings village, buying some fresh pineapple as we browsed the farmer's market set up there. The Kings Village shopping area is so fun and quaint and is on the same block as our hotel.




Since we aren't particularly part folk, we tried to find something to watch on TV and discovered there was no coverage of local fireworks, so Harry went to sleep. I was more restless and as midnight approached I went out on the balcony and saw lots of people, and families with young children hurrying to the beach. I knew there would be fireworks, but assumed they would be closer to Honolulu and not very impressive down as far as we were, so I didn't plan to go try to see them.

I could hear the countdown from a couple of directions and suddenly there was a loud roaring cheer a block away at the beach and the fireworks started with loud booms that echoed and reverberated from the surrounding buildings. After a minute or two I couldn't stand it and decided to head down and see if I could get a glimpse of them. I quickly pulled some clothes and shoes on, grabbed my hotel card and headed down to the beach as quickly as I could.

As soon as I got there I wished I'd brought my camera. The fireworks were every bit as view-able and impressive as other fireworks I've seen that are set off at home from a barge in the bay. This was also set off out in the water of they bay. The following photos are ones I got off the internet that are similar to what I saw and were taken also at Waikiki.







I loved the whole ambiance of that experience. Jubilant, rapt crowds packed the beach, the grass under the trees and the sidewalk to get a view of the show. To add to the exotic feel I was standing right beside a group from India that had instruments, drums and small cymbals, and were singing and chanting rhythmically in accompaniment to the explosions of fireworks. I've heard a lot of music coordinated to fireworks, but I liked this better, it had a feeling of reverent joy in celebrating the dawning of a new year. I so wish I had a recording of it, I loved the melodies and the accompanying instrumental and the spice and feeling it gave to the experience. They were dressed ethnically but not flamboyantly. They finished up after the fireworks and cheering for the  finale died down by chanting a Hare Krishna chorus.

I sat on a nearby bench while the crowds dispersed and just enjoyed the atmosphere. After a few minutes a couple seated on the next bench struck up a conversation. They were from far north in Alaska. We had a wonderful chat for 15 minutes or so. I basked in the multitude of cultures and ethnicities that surrounded me and the feeling of camaraderie with all of them celebrating the coming of the new year together.

This was for sure the most unique new year I ever celebrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment