Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tuesday, January 6th Last Sunset in Waikiki



I've tried not to be too boring with sunset photos. It was my favorite time to be on the beach. Often I would stop whatever I was doing at our room about 5:30 and grab my camera and scoot the two short blocks to the beach. Our hotel was behind the Hyatt Regency which is located at the point where Waikiki beach ends and Kuhio beach begins. I always thought of them as one continuous beach, and they are, but there is an artificial division there marked  a stone jetty that divides one beach from the other.  
 
My usual spot to wait for the sunset-the big angled rock


I liked to find a spot just below the jetty at the edge of the beach where there was a stone that was just right for sitting on. There I could sit and watch the sun go down along with all the other things that were happening in the water and on the beach at the same time. Behind me there was a raised grassy area used for sunbathing in the daytime and on Tuesday evenings as a stage for a live Hawaiian music program. On Tuesdays (this was a Tuesday) there was recorded Hawaiian music playing as the sun went down.

As the sun drops, more and more people line up on the jetty with cameras
Just below me was an eroded stone wall embedded in the beach, and my rock was level with an extensive concrete platform. In the beginning weeks I took photos of the wall. The first time there was a guy building a sand castle on top of the wall. The next few times There was even less sand around it and the tide was right so that the waves were splashing  up against it creating beautiful curtains of spray. The interesting thing on this last night was that the big windstorm the Friday before had resulted in most of the wall and all of the concrete platform being buried in sand. 



The Beach on Christmas day, taken from my seated viewpoint,  lots of concrete showing

Same view, after the storm, nothing but sand.

You can see my rock on top of the concrete ledge, upper left
 
Same view, last day



This night there were very few clouds so I hoped to see and record the green flash, but there was too much haze at the horizon, so it didn't happen. It was still beautiful and inspiring. I had time to listen to just a little of the music in the program that started at 6 pm before I headed back to the room for the last time.






No comments:

Post a Comment